Back Alley Brawl (BABL) starting soon!

Moderators: Beer Hunter, Tembest, Entr0py

Tembest

Re: Back Alley Brawl (BABL) starting soon!

Post by Tembest »

Or reward the idiots who dislike football...

Nubby

Post by Nubby »

Can I just make a suggestion?

Having BABL alone like the last time around is really bad. Games end in like 10-15 minutes and people cancelling their plans for a 10 minute game is seriously redic. I'm on the boat that I'm not going to be bothered investing time into brining NF again for just a 10-15 minute game.

Why not have a combined BABL + 3v3/4v4 match. Teams use the same roster but play 2 games, one following the other.

BABL - 15 minutes
3v3/4v4 - 10 minutes.

~ 30 minute game which is a nice SCHEDULED game time length.

Have a separate ladder for both leagues, so one team could be really good in BABL but really bad in 3v3/4v4 (though in DSB that won't really be the case).

Also I would totally form a BABL automated ladder team ala TWDD and I know a bunch of TWers might be interested too so no idea where you guys get off on the no one would play it etc. I understand if the coding and developing of it is hard but it certainly would beat anything and everything going on in the zone right now.

July 1st is a terrible start date too. RL > Euro12 > SS > DSB.

Beer Hunter

Post by Beer Hunter »

Okay you deliver us a problem and we solve it. The BABL will begin on 1st July, however, the games on that weekend are Pre-League/Exhibition/getting to know the game/recruitment games. So you should show but you dont miss any points if you dont. I encourage everybody to show up anyway, it might be great opportunity to just play for fun, let some rookies find out about BABL, possibly get them hooked and to your squad's roster. A lot of opportunities and chances either way. ;)

PS. And more importantly, it's great chance to show we are still alive and kicking. Let them hear on the surface that we're very much alive down here. :ugeek:

Nubby

Post by Nubby »

Nubby> WE SHUD DO
Nubby> a 3v3 DB
Matioso> im gonna write about this on forums
Nubby> League
Nubby> Along with BABL
Matioso> yeah

Nubby> Have hosted weekend matches worth double the points
Matioso> if we got weekday matches, however to make them, then it could be automated
Nubby> So like ur weekend matches are twice (or 3x if you guys want to set it that way) more important than weekday matches
Matioso> yea
Nubby> But if u play more weekday matches u can catch up to a team which is less active
Nubby> Which is gr8 cause it makes the zone active during weekdays
Matioso> yes
Nubby> Promotes u to recruit more other-zoners
Nubby> Cause with ELO system
Nubby> Even if u lose u gain some points
Nubby> Just not as much if u win
Nubby> etc
Matioso> and babl/dodgeball is kinda easy to learn for other-zoners

Nubby> Like i mean now
Nubby> We could have a 3v3
Nubby> My EG and HZ and TW buddies not doing anything
Matioso> compared to league which is an ass-rape for anyone under 1 year experience in dsb
Matioso> with league i mean dsbl
Nubby> Having a 10 minute DB match and a 10 minute BABL match now
Nubby> During dead time in other zones
Nubby> Would be awesome
Matioso> yes

Matioso> copy paste these to forums and ill go to reply something
Matioso> imo db was kinda popular too
Matioso> in dsb
Nubby> Cant u just copy paste for me?

Way 2 make me copy paste and have to delete lines and lines of chat.

Matioso

Post by Matioso »

Imo this is a great idea.
You would play it as a same squad in both 3v3 db+babl. We could do it by having two games, first 3v3 db and after it babl. For example starting at 17gmt and together this would last till 17:30gmt max, and after it other squads matches would start. Each, babl and 3v3 db, would have its own ladder.

Second possible alternative would have a system of three separate events, 10 mins each. And the winner would be the one to win two matches. But then we needed a third event for this. Too much coding?

Then, like nubby already pointed out, we could get automated leagues for this on weekdays, worth of 1/3 points of scheduled weekend matches. This could encourage newb squads to play more and get more activity on weekdays to the zone.

Why all this compared shit and 3v3 db you might ask?

here:
Matioso> and this could bring newbs/other-zoners to dsb because babl and 3v3 db is quite easy to learn
Matioso> bringing db could also help to activate our events
Matioso> similiar events in eg/tw or whichever

Beer Hunte> but why on earth DB? You really think the same guys who play babl would play that?
Nubby> You can recruit a bigger squad, Nubby> So players dont have to play both BABL and DB

And then playing with 3v3 db first and after that babl would be a good chance for newbs to get better. After learning those they could be even be ready to practices with some teaching ofc. Also, playing as a newbie in same squad and learning two leagues at the same time is a lot safer than getting recruited to two different squads.

Now, I would like to hear your opinion on these. Imo this is definately worth a try. Comments and ideas are welcome :)

jim the chin

Post by jim the chin »

what's db?
Please delete this account. I want nothing to do with this place any more.

Beer Hunter

Post by Beer Hunter »

DB= Dodgeball.

Well the idea of having DB running same time as BABL is interesting, however with the resources we have and the limited timeframe (roughly 1 week) is not enough to produce working ladder/automated bot.

However how about exploring the possibility of having DB automated league running on weekdays with either fixed schedule: Your squad is assigned to play 1 squad every week, you can choose when it happens. Or then more ladder typish where we set a certain amount of games you must play vs each squad (lets say 2-3) and once you've "maxed out" on one squad, bot will not grant you more points if you play vs them again, you can just play for fun and practice.

However, I am afraid this automated typish format will run to similar problems as in the past, different timezones conflict with squads and some squads/players might get frustrated if they dont get games (come in at wrong times).

The only way we could add DB to run along with BABL (with the current situation) is to manually host it after each BABL game and have it only on weekends.

Thoughts?

jim the chin

Post by jim the chin »

Do enough people like dodgeball?
Please delete this account. I want nothing to do with this place any more.

Beer Hunter

Post by Beer Hunter »

jim the chin wrote:Do enough people like dodgeball?
That's what they (Mati and Nubby) and me are trying to figure out here. :roll:

Magnum Size

Post by Magnum Size »

I have always enjoyed dodgeball.
I'm not sure if anyone remembers but "GreatOneDuh" hosted a league called "DSB Pub Games" back in 2004. Dodgeball was one of those events. I liked it. Obviously we had more players in 2004 but I think it could still work with a smaller box
Here is the link:
http://pubgames.league.nu/news.asp?lid=22