A Proposed Plan

General discussion

Moderators: Beer Hunter, Tembest, Entr0py

falconeer

Re: A Proposed Plan

Post by falconeer »

So the players with the best and worst ratings will always be on the opposite teams.

*So if you have two players with high ratings, they will be on opposite teams. And if you have two players will low ratings, they will be on opposite teams. The rating system will be more skill based, so it accounts for Kills, Bell flags, Assists, Ratio, (most likely in that order). That means you can have a high rating even if you lost 28 out of 30 games. It will be totally dependent on how good you played, taking into account the performance of your own team and comparing it with yours. It will have nothing to do with wins or losses.

This is one of the major changes that needs to be made. A better rating system, and automated team creation so there is a less chance of stacked teams. Less stacked teams, means more fun. There will always be squad vs squad play, and the ability to manually set teams if need be.

the_real_the_snake

Post by the_real_the_snake »

I would like to point out two issues that trouble me.
1) BeerH and old enough players, if you would remember what hooked you up to DSB etc, you will find out that before there were any team elims DTs and pracs, what hooked you up was the game play in pub. You would see players playing together, owning it up, and you would want to do the same. You then found out about banners and squad names, and figured, oh I wanna join them as well. Squads played together, had chat, and it became instant hook up, a feeling of belonging.

2) This feeling was lost, when the "prac" generation of DSB was born. All the know is prac prac prac, very individualistic and hardly any team spirit anymore. Flame/Trash Troll and prac. We need to slowly change this generation and create and cultivate a new one. This generation was born, because the prac down syndrome overcame the public game play.

As I was talking with fly swatter, about two nights ago, I had the following idea:
1)close the prac arenas for most of the day.
2) Announce certain times of the day that pracs are available. This generates peak population and helps the zone look better. Can do the same for special events. Like every night at 18GMT you know theres going to be team elim. OR w/e.

What will all the boys do now that their prac arena is taken away?
I think that the pub arena should be one big map. Every few minutes a new mini match is starting in a said sector, or a cluster of areas, depending the players playing. Each player can have some preferences for sectors and each player have some sort of a rating system. Players on the same squad are also taken to consideration.
When a mini match starts, the system will decide what kind of a match's layout it plans to do.
It may group players into a 3v3 east, or 4v4 north, or 2v2 in two rooms in south. It may as well divide it into 3v3 in east, and 2v2 else here if there are enough players. It will do it in such way that no one is left out, and its quite simple and seamless. Players can have their matches's preferences for maximum number of players they want to participate in a match for, and also length of match. like I wouldn't want to be in more than a 4v4 prac, whereas someone else would want 6v6 match.
By playing in this system, players get to choose preferences for sectors, and obviously are rated in some way.
Squads also get rated by the performance of their players, and get some bonus for a team game, and consecutive wins etc.
If configured, the system will automatically group together to the same freq players on the same squad. As long as it is even. It may also offer challenges, for like 3 Red Haws vs 5 randomed guys, in 4 rooms in south. and other interesting things. And again, everything is seamless and configureable by the zone and the players alike.

Participating in the scheduled events/pracs can add some global rating to you and your squad. And obviously the Leagues themselves contribute as well.
This allows players who wanna prac, to have the ability to do so, usually to their preferred sector. In addition it adds some new challenges etc for whatever population is left in this zone, and noobs who enter, see some action going on and wants to take in on it. Another challenge can be, winning 3 mini pracs in pub with a rookie :p
Obviously this system is really flexible, and really cool stuff can be added, if people have any ideas.
Hopefully this can also incorporate some squad pride again into pub..

However, After discussing some of it with falc , i think that this is a bit too complicated of a system which requires ASSS.
So the other best thing, to my belief, would be what falc had proposed in his post here, while still maintaining fixed time slots for Events/Pracs as I have defined above.

falconeer

Post by falconeer »

The main objective of dsb staff should be moving to ASSS.. If you can't achieve that then you shouldn't be sysop or even leading anything. All these other plans for pub need to go on hold. You could switch to ASSS in 3 months. Which is way better for the health of the zone than turning pub into a league game.

Tembest

Post by Tembest »

falconeer wrote:Whats wrong with a two squad league? What makes it fun is that its Europe vs North America. The captains are voted on by the squad members. The person with the most votes gets to lead the squad and make the line ups. Everyone plays at least once, even if it was for one game and for one half. It will have fantasy league aspects so all the details can be worked out.
I do not know anyone but you that enjoys playing the same squad over and over again. It can be considered an all-star game at most,
nothing else. Perhaps 3 games but the captains will choose who to play, no rules of everyone having to play. We have tried that
before and it's extremely complicated: Captains tell some to log off, some players are saved for the last game but they have ploss, etc.
Practically there is no way to assure everyone has played or had a good reason not to. Some players will say they didn't want to, to
please their captain, etc.

In brief, it is a horrible idea unless it's simply an all-star game (or set of games) to highlight the season.

falconeer

Post by falconeer »

So it's a horrible idea if it's called a league, but a good idea if it's an all star game? Call it whatever you want. If the description fits an all star game, then call it an all star game.

The bottom line is I said it would be 5 games, and last 1 month and 2 weeks. Beer is the one who wanted it to be tons of games.

I want a Europe VS North America match with fantasy league elements.

I don't need you to tell me what was tried before. I've been here just as long as you, I've been aware, and I haven't just been on the forums. I'm well aware of every failure idea that was thrown out there. I'm also aware that a Europe vs North America game has been in demand for quite some time, and that it's a good way to start up our 12 vs 12 league again, even if its two squads, and considered an all star game.

It's really easy to get everyone to play. If you have 24 people show, you just play 12 the first half and 12 the second half. Considering there are 3-5 games, everyone would have a chance to play. And chances are we'd only get the same 12 people each week anyway. DSB isn't thriving if you haven't noticed? I don't know about you. But I think most captains would love to field every player and wouldn't mind in the least to change their line up and let everyone play. I know that I would, Pater would, wO would Matioso would and so on.

Tembest

Post by Tembest »

falconeer wrote:It's really easy to get everyone to play. If you have 24 people show, you just play 12 the first half and 12 the second half. Considering there are 3-5 games, everyone would have a chance to play. And chances are we'd only get the same 12 people each week anyway. DSB isn't thriving if you haven't noticed? I don't know about you. But I think most captains would love to field every player and wouldn't mind in the least to change their line up and let everyone play. I know that I would, Pater would, wO would Matioso would and so on.
All I'm saying it's really hard to monitor it - we've tried it and it's not easy. We had a league where all rookies had to play. Beer and I
were then working like crazy during the games to find out the reasons they did not play, etc. and in the end, when league was about
to end, Beer came to the conclusion that never mind, let's ditch the rule.

It works only if you want to rely on captains and hope they will allow everyone to play, but you cannot really force it is what I mean.
And even your examples prove you wrong, out of the 4 names you threw I've seen two of them demand a 3 vs 3 Babl match even
though they had in addition to those 3 players present IceSword who was ready to play. Crusaders had then 5 players and wanted to
make it 5vs5 or at least 4vs4 so everyone could play. But Everglaze thought winning is more important hence demanded it to be 3vs3
so they could play 3 players superior to IceSword and have a better chance of winning.

I'm not saying the above is wrong even though it pissed me a lot we could not give everyone a chance to play. It's nice some people
still care about winning something in DSB and it was originally the only purpose of league. I'm just saying you make silly assumptions
on human behaviour.

falconeer

Post by falconeer »

I never said we'd enforce it.

I think if you just tell the captains to make sure everyone gets a chance to play at least once, they would. Especially since there is no harm of it in the beginning ie. the first three games, when it's not the final and not a tie breaker. It also makes sense because the other team will be adhering to the same suggestion so both teams would have a new player in for example. Again i'm not even sure there would be a different 12 people each time, and DSB isn't exactly teaming with new players, so this won't be as big of a problem as your making it out to be.

Fly Swatter

Post by Fly Swatter »

the_real_the_snake wrote: I think that the pub arena should be one big map. Every few minutes a new mini match is starting in a said sector, or a cluster of areas, depending the players playing. Each player can have some preferences for sectors and each player have some sort of a rating system. Players on the same squad are also taken to consideration.
When a mini match starts, the system will decide what kind of a match's layout it plans to do.
It may group players into a 3v3 east, or 4v4 north, or 2v2 in two rooms in south. It may as well divide it into 3v3 in east, and 2v2 else here if there are enough players. It will do it in such way that no one is left out, and its quite simple and seamless. Players can have their matches's preferences for maximum number of players they want to participate in a match for, and also length of match. like I wouldn't want to be in more than a 4v4 prac, whereas someone else would want 6v6 match.
By playing in this system, players get to choose preferences for sectors, and obviously are rated in some way.
Squads also get rated by the performance of their players, and get some bonus for a team game, and consecutive wins etc.
If configured, the system will automatically group together to the same freq players on the same squad. As long as it is even. It may also offer challenges, for like 3 Red Haws vs 5 randomed guys, in 4 rooms in south. and other interesting things. And again, everything is seamless and configureable by the zone and the players alike.
Oh, I missed this suggestion in the wall of falc text.

Some good idea's, things always change when you sit down to code them. With asss you can reset flags independently of each other and use regions in a more meaningful way. Those two things opens alot of creative doors. I had a idea of flag assignment just recently, players could start a mini game in small groups all using the same map.. or small maps off to the side.. well.. i wont go into details or think more about that unless we did have asss.. but there are alot of options with asss.

-Fly

Fly Swatter

Post by Fly Swatter »

Also:

The plan originally called for a pts system that required players to participant in pub (earn pts) in order to gain access to the prac arena. But there is no plan to remove the prac arena or limit access in anyway. The only way to migrate away from prac is by building something better, and let the player choose. Thats the only way that i would go about it.

-Fly

falconeer

Post by falconeer »

If you put practices in pub. Independent of the pub map. You would have no problem closing the practice arenas permanently. Why?

Because they wouldn't be closed. Practices are just in pub now. Off to the side of the pub map.

This idea is the best it brings everyone into 1 arena.

Merging practices in pub, while keeping practices in separate arenas, won't work. People will just practice in the separate arena. As well this merging of practices in pub destroys pub and turns it into a league game with sectioned off areas of the deathstar. Whats the point of having a whole deathstar if your going to wall off the sectors. Oh because in 12 vs 12 it all opens up? So we need 24 players to be free. When we can just achieve the same thing by having separate sectors elsewhere on the map, and having a free pub deathstar..

Again, your missing the point of your duties, which is to keep DSB cutting edge. A new map doesn't do this, ASSS does.